Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What Really Matters?

I love to ponder the mysteries of the universe and how the earth began. I love to digest principles in calculus that I have forgotten. The writings of Steinbeck are currently captivating to me. These things I pursue to keep my aging brain from turning to mush.

Now a friend who has a blog asked how I would like to be remembered- for what I've done and mastered or as Fanny Crosby, writer of many hymns. Her grave marker said, "I have done what I could," or words to that affect. What humility!

I also read that people won't remember others for their expertise in sports or what kind of car they drove or the house they lived in. People remember a smile, an encouraging word; they remember a forgiving attitude and a giving attitude, or the opposite of the aforementioned.

Compassion, kindness and humility are the things that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment