Thursday, February 16, 2017

To My Friends at the Comfort Inn

Some days are unforgettable. Jamie asked me two weeks beforehand if I would come in on Feb. 12 to clarify some things about the pool, including the paperwork. I obliged and wrote the note on my office calendar.

I recalled my appointment on the appointed day and as I was leaving I told Lois I'd go to the store and get the few things we needed. Strange thing is that  Lois said  not to bother. She would get them. That was okay with me.

When I got inside the lobby Jamie told me that the hotel was in an uproar and that hoards of rug rats had rendered the pool into a state of emergency. 'Whatever it is I've seen worse,' I told myself as I punched in. I was focused on bringing the pool back to a healthy state and then Jamie (oh, that Jamie) said the breakfast room would qualify for disaster relief from FEMA so she entreated me to come and help put the furniture back in order. "Not a problem," I said, wondering how much work would go into the pool maintenance.

The French doors to the breakfast room were papered over and a sign proclaimed that a private party was in progress. Jamie opened the doors and the room was dark. As my eyes adjusted I wondered why the room was full of people sitting in the dark. Someone turned on the lights and a loud and unison yell of "surprise!" unhinged my jaw. Talk about shock and awe! I saw fellow employees as well as former employees and I became aware that I probably looked silly with my jaw down to my knees. The room was packed. And Lois was there!

Sue Spets, the General Manager and I have been with the company since the doors opened on my birthday  in August of 1990. Sue read some of my entries in the operations log and brought to life in vivid color the night that I came to work and an old classmate was in charge behind the counter. His demeanor suggested that maybe he was the CEO of Choice Hotels Int. I hadn't seen Jack since high school.

"Do you have enough confidence to do this?" Jack asked in a patronizing tone. My engine temperature sharply increased but I was careful not to show it. I remembered him from fourth period physics with Mr. Supercynski. Nonetheless he had a point since I didn't have enough confidence to take algebra as a freshman but as a senior  I was doing quite well in math and science. (That's another story in my blog.) "Yeah. I can do this," I replied, remembering to relax my jaw. I lasted long enough to retire, and overcame  many difficult situations so there, Jack. (I'll elaborate on the trials in my book.)

Sue read other entries from the operations log that I had written. Some were angry, some were lighthearted and humorous. Some were incredulous.  She masterfully framed my career at The Comfort Inn. Her cohorts, led by Jamie helped her pull it off. Thanks to Sue and the crew for this soiree. The next morning I asked Lois, "Did that really happen?"

Now it's time to let go of my duties behind the desk, although I'll still work as a consultant for our aquatic recreation facilities. (Could Jack. manage a swimming pool?)

I made a statement in my book that my career at the Comfort Inn wasn't something to brag about at a class reunion, minimizing the importance of fellow employees and management. Working at the desk requires a rare skill set.  There are difficult  and sometimes delicate situations and the desk agent must deal with while making everything work in our complex computer technology. Quick decisions must be made under pressure. There are many judgement calls, tough calls. The general Manager gets the same menu of stress only it is magnified tenfold. I've called her many times in the wee hours for direction. Sue, you have the strong and broad shoulders needed for all of the issues that come your way. Please accept my apology for that statement.

Now I have different challenges: 'where are my reading glasses? ... what do you mean, doctor- I don't need Lipitor....why is the floor down so low when I have to pick something up... who is that person who seems to have known me forever ... did I take my pills? Where are my pills?...that new music drives me crazy! When I was young we had the Beattles, Rolling Stones, Credence Clearwater Revival. Real music!... the gal on the ten o'clock news should get to bed. It's a school night.


No comments:

Post a Comment