Monday, August 18, 2014

A Saved Vacation- Part 3

As I sat on the bed with the bottle of cold water held to my swollen knee I heard voices through the open door. Women milling around, talking, admiring the decor, probably. Darryl wasn't home at the time. I heard people climbing the first stairs and soon recognized that it was Lois, Michele and Kenlyn.

They ascended to the third floor and admired our room.

"The room is so tiny, "Kenlyn said.

"Still, it's the best room I ever stayed in."

"Did you fall and skin your knees?" Lois asked.

"I did a little more than that. I stood and Lois could see the extent of the swelling."

"We'll take you back to Michele's and she can give you a cold compress. Did you take anything?"

"Tylenol- two pills."

"Can you make it down the stairs?"

"I did before to get the bottle of water but the swelling has increased since. I'll try."

I made it down the two flights of stairs by holding my left knee stiff and then we got out to Michele's truck. Getting in was painful if I flexed my knee but I made it. I remembered my Kindle.

Conversation centered around Michele'd dining table and Corva was the center of attention. And why not? She's adorable and she's an extrovert. She received Christmas and, I think,  birthday presents which would have been too expensive to ship overseas.

We ate steak for supper, prepared by Ken on the barby  and later on the family split into conversational groups, one at the dining table and one in the family room. Those of us in the family room viewed TV for a while and I kept my left knee up as per Hadley's instructions. (Hadley is a registered nurse.) Nurse Hadley prescribed Alleve and cold compresses to diminish the swelling.

The front view from Beech Street.
Lois and I enjoyed the hospitality at Isadora's once more in our luxurious bathrobes. I made coffe for myself on the Kuerig and Lois took tea. We indulged ourselves with Cadbury chocolate bars and once more took in this historic place.


Here's where we signed in, as guests would have done in a bygone era.

The next day we started with a hearty breakfast. First a strawberry banana split with yogurt instead of whipped cream. We shared breakfast with a woman from Columbus, Ohio, actually a member of the faculty of Ohio State University where she researches the effects of poverty on young children.  Lindsay asked where we hailed from and I sensed, from her reaction that the upper peninsula  of Michigan was obscure to her, something like the Yukon Territory. We explained the term, "Yooper," which she found delightfully amusing.

The second course consisted of hash-browned potatoes in casserole form and poached eggs, of which I have never had, but enjoyed.

Lindsay told us that her mother resides in West Bend. When Lindsay told her she was staying at Isadora's her mother objected.

"A bed and breakfast is only for couples."

This is where we breakfasted.
Lindsay was going to take in West Bend with her mother, so we wished her a happy time with her mother.

We reluctantly began to pack for the trip home. I say reluctantly because this was the best and most unique lodging experience we have
The view from Beech Street.



ever had. Sure beats the cookie-cutter approach of the national lodging chains. This place was about warmth and historicity and fascination.


After packing and loading up Ken's truck which he generously let us borrow for the evening, we walked the huge veranda and got a sense of how high the mansion rested above Beech Street.
The front stairs overlooking Beech Street, featuring the babbling fountain on the first landing.
We will definitely stay here again!

I wondered at how long it must have taken to build this enormous residence and the number of workmen involved, since much of the work was done with muscle power rather than machine power.

We recovered our car and painfully paid the bill. I realized that the car troubles didn't ruin this wonderful visit with family. We returned Ken's truck and said our good-byes, punctuated with hugs. With this visit I realized how much I love our family and how much they mean to us.



This prayer opens our AA meetings. I was also saying it silently at times during our vacation.
The frame is an antique from the Weiss family and the cross-stitching was done by our talented niece, Kenlyn Knop.

The homeward trek had only two minor incidents: Lois forgot the cross-stitching project. We doubled back to get it  and we thought we had taken the wrong exit to get on Highway 10. We stopped for gas and coffee and Lois asked the clerk for directions. (We were both wearing t-shirts that we bought from our church. On the back of each shirt was this Scripture: "Show me the right path, o Lord; point out the road for me to follow." Psalms 25:4.) We could see Highway 10 from the gas station, once the nice lady pointed it out.
This vacation had its ups and downs but it was the most unique experience we've had. Always uplifting to visit our family.






No comments:

Post a Comment