Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The way Christmas S'psed to Be


I still work part-time at a local hotel and when one of my fellow workers asked, "Are you working here at Christmas?"  they were sympathetic that I had been scheduled to work the 11-7 shift, starting at 11p.m. Christmas Eve.

"Yeah, I gotta work Christmas Eve but then another person who would have been scheduled is able to have Christmas Eve with family."

"That's really cool that you see it that way," fellow employee observed.

"I have my moments." (I reflected how my serenity blooms when I have such an attitude.)

My shift was uneventful. I tweaked the chemical balance in the hotel's pool and spa. I did the night audit on the computer and  prepared the registration slips for the day's  arrivals. Downy flakes had settled on the sidewalk so I cleaned all 300 ft. of it. I hauled out the garbage.

I exchanged warm Christmas greetings with Val, who came in for the day shift and then I would go home and sleep. On the way home I reflected that I work with some wonderful people, including the boss.

My wife, Lois was just getting up when I entered  our bedroom.She would take the"kids," as we call our two dogs, out for their morning chores. I would drift off blissfully and not be awakened until noon so that I could attend the community church dinner put on by Woodland Church, where both Lois and have been active for many years.

The dinner was a collaborative effort, as several members of our (Baptist) congregation cooked turkeys at home, as well as deserts. I was proud of all the work Lois put into preparing the turkey since she is busy from dawn to dusk on any given day. Several others brought cooked turkeys as well as a ham. There were the traditional mashed potatoes and stuffing and a bowl of turkey gravy and a grand array of desserts. My weakness was for the fudge.

It was heartening that so many people volunteered to make this event a success.

A reporter from the Ironwood Globe interviewed  pastor Mike and took  pictures. 

Most of our guests were not Baptists and I suspect that many  didn't share in our doctrinal beliefs but there was no proselytizing. Our only mission was to provide food and fellowship for many people who would not have such a dinner. That is what Jesus would have done and He could have miraculously made the food appear but I suspect that He would defer to allow volunteers
give a gift to the community.

After all, that's the way Christmas is s'posed to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment